The Easiest Freezer Friendly & Healthy Breakfast Tacos
These freezer healthy breakfast tacos will make you like mornings. Pop these frozen guys in the microwave for an easy and delicious breakfast.
I changed my post schedule to Wednesdays a few weeks ago, and totally forgot about that today…. so at least it’s still Wednesday, right?!
I think I may be on a taco kick. Because…. tacos. #amiright?! oh yeah that’s right, tacos are ALWAYS a great choice. Instead of actually making eggs in the morning, I mean, I’m not spending even 10 minutes on breakfast when I start work before 9am is just not happening. Sleep trumps breakfast in my book, unless it’s the Original Pancake House, then that’s fine. But it’s rarely pancake house.
On days I’m not feeling yogurt or oatmeal, this is a really delicious, easy, and nutrient packed way to start the day, or end the day because breakfast for dinner is one of the greatest inventions of all time….. that is healthy breakfast tacos
On to the recipe….
These freezer healthy breakfast tacos will make you like mornings. Pop these frozen guys in the microwave for an easy and delicious breakfast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups shredded yukon gold potatoes or frozen hashbrowns
- 2 cups vegetables of choice ie: onions, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers
- 1 dozen whole eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 12 white or whole wheat flour tortillas 10" for burritos, 6" for tacos
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
Add canola oil to large sautee pan, sautee dried stredded potatoes until crispy. About 10 minutes. While potatoes are cooking chop vegetables, then mix together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Add chopped vegetables to potatoes. Cook for about 4 minutes, until slightly softened.
Once vegetables are softened, pour egg mixture over vegetable mixture. Fold mixture over until cooked thoroughly, or until eggs are solid and there's little-no liquid left in pan. Check for salt and pepper flavor preference.
Top with cheddar cheese. Fill twelve 6" tortillas with mixture.
To make FREEZER BURRITOS: Evenly distribute egg/potato mixture into middle of 12 burrito sized tortillas. A 10" or larger tortilla is important to keep all filling inside tortilla!
To wrap tortilla (thank you to Qdoba for teaching me proper burrito rolling in high school!)- spoon filling into middle of the burrito. (if it's slightly dry, microwave tortilla for about 10-15 seconds so it doesn't tear).
1. Fold one side over filling, then push toward folded side. This tightens the burrito and increases remaining room to fold over other sides.
2. Next, fold in the two sides of the tortilla, it starts to look like a purse or envelope, again push sides in so filling is snug.
3. Finally, roll covered filling toward remaining side until it's all rolled up... like a burrito.
Wrap in tin foil, then place in a plastic bag and freeze until needed.
Microwave burrito on high for 60 seconds when ready to eat. Add favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Important note about homemade hashbrowns. After shredding/grating potatoes, immerse in a cold water bath, then pat dry to remove remaining water. This helps remove some of the starch from the potatoes. Who really wants to eat gooey sticky potatoes?
You can also top with your favorite salsa, avocado, or ketchup if you'd like! (add when eating if making freezer burritos)
Want recipes delivered straight to your inbox?
Let’s get chatty:
- Have you made any healthy breakfast tacos before?
- easy huevos rancheros for a quick and delicious brunch - […] Easy Breakfast Tacos (that are also freezeable) […]