Impress your dinner guests with this simple and unique pomegranate molasses sauce that tops apple and sharp cheddar crackers. Bonus points for how easy the molasses is to find!
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Breton Crackers and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Welcome to the great entertaining, grilling, and partying summer season. As much as I love planning ahead & dreaming of the delicious dish I’ll bring to summer parties…. the dreaming often doesn’t lead to planning. I usually find myself putting off that final decision until the last minute, you know when there’s no time to search Pinterest AND go to the store for a few special ingredients for a delicious side dish or appetizer. You know, I’m just trying to keep it real. I have a couple goto dishes that don’t take much time to throw together like this 5 minute queso, 3 ingredient guacamole, and this apple cider mocktail.
That’s why I always keep a few delicious special staples in my pantry, you know to fool my friends and family into thinking that I actually put some forethought and planning into things.
- I keep Breton multigrain crackers on hand because they’re nutty, seedy, and tender all at the same time. Their light, crispy texture, and delicious flavor all combine to make them my go-to for a quick snack, a stand-out base for show-stopping appetizer. This cracker (along with their others) is so simply delicious it really makes a fantastic vehicle for fun flavors AND is delicious straight out of the bag. How many crackers can you say that about? Not many.
- Fresh fruit- apples, peaches, pears, nectarines…. any fruit I can slice that will hold it’s shape is a wonderful cracker topper.
- Sharp cheddar cheese. I am totally turning into a major cheese lover. No more yellow or mild cheddar cheese, with a flavorful sharp cheddar, you can get so much flavor and a hint of sharp tang with just a shaving of sharp cheddar. I love sharp cheddar paired with lots of different fruits & of course my go to Breton crackers. Currently loving it with nectarines and tart apples.
- Pomegranate molasses. Think of your favorite tangy pomegranate + sweet syrupy molasses. It’s this deep tangy, and sweet syrup that will change your appetizer game. Now this will require a trip to a mid to higher end grocery store, middle eastern market, or a click on Amazon. You probably won’t be able to find it at Walmart, but my local Harmon’s grocery store carries one brand-and it’s a good one. After you get your hands on this molasses, you’ll be set for tons of bold flavor combinations that will make you feel like a real chef without all the training that it takes to be a real chef. You’re welcome.
You really can use any combination of these foods to make a really delicious & bite-sized appetizer, here’s one I’ve been drooling over for the past few days… Enjoy
Apple and Sharp Cheddar Crackers with Pomegranate Molasses Sauce
- 1/8 cup Pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon milk of choice add slowly, to desired thickness
- 12 Multigrain Breton Crackers
- 1 Granny smith apple sliced
- 1 ounce Sharp cheddar cheese I used local Beehive Cheese's Seahive cheddar cheese
- Mix together pomegranate molasses, Greek yogurt, and milk. Add enough milk to get desired thickness. I used 1 tsp to make it thin enough to pour over crackers.
- Lay 1-2 apple slices to cover cracker, then 1-2 thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese on top of each cracker, again to cover the apple slices on cracker.
- Drizzle pomegranate sauce over each cracker right before serving (~1 tsp per cracker).