Pulled pork is one of the easiest and most versatile meats. Top these instant pot pulled pork sandwiches with rainbow coleslaw and pineapple to make a truly delicious summer entertaining meal.
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
how these instant pot pulled pork sandwiches fit into my lifestyle
I’m all about easy and quick meals. I used to think quick & easy meant bland and not great food. Boy was I wrong. As I’ve tried to make meals easier at my house, I’ve seen first hand that that’s not the case at all. NOT AT ALL. You can even throw together a delicious meal in 15 minutes. I created a free eBook of 15 minute meals to show you how. Sign up for it here.
Anyways, this pork won’t be a 15 minute meal, but take 90 minutes (mostly hands off time!) one day & you’ll have enough pork to make into super easy 15 minute meals for the rest of the week. That sounds pretty great, doesn’t it?! Think pulled pork tacos, pulled pork sandwiches, throw it over salad, add to a teriyaki sauce and eat in a rice bowl (making that tomorrow!), add it to pasta sauce for a different take on spaghetti, the options are endless.
How these instant pot pulled pork sandwiches will make your life easier
I’ve said it before, and will say it again, Instant Pot meals are awesome and save time, but they aren’t as quick as I’d originally assumed. All those recipes that say your veggies will be cooked in 3 minutes, well, they’re a bit misleading. While cooking time is actually 3 minutes, pressure cookers need time to get up to temperature and also to release the pressure. That takes time. But one thing I love about this recipe is that it doesn’t take as much time as I’d originally thought. Plan for just another 20-30 minutes for the cooker to come up to temp, and you use the quick release method, so that won’t take much time to release afterward.
Back to the pulled pork sandwiches, who doesn’t love pulled pork sandwiches? They’re easy, versatile and are awesome entertaining food because you can make a large batch without much additional effort. cool. no awesome!
Quick Notes on This Recipe
- I’m so over taking the extra time to sear meat before pressure cooking it. You keep none of the crispiness or char. Skip this step for an even easier dish. You’re welcome.
- I’ve already talked about how versatile this dish is. Think pulled pork tacos, pulled pork sandwiches, throw it over salad, add to a teriyaki sauce and eat in a rice bowl (making that tomorrow!), add it to pasta sauce for a different take on spaghetti, the options are endless.
- Top your sandwich with the tastiest & easiest rainbow coleslaw
Here are before & after shots. Not much work in between because you can make your Instant Pot do all the work! side note: I didn’t even have to edit the 2nd photo AT ALL. lucky shot.
Instant Pot BBQ Pork Sandwiches
- Instant Pot
- cutting board
- cooking spray
- 4 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole white onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup water
- hamburger buns
- .... BBQ sauce of your choice
- sliced pineapple (optional)
- Cut pork shoulder into 4-5 pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spray bottom of Instant Pot bowl with cooking spray, place pork pieces in bowl. Add water, onions, and garlic to pork pieces.
- Cover with lid, and set to MEAT/STEW setting and set timer to 50 minutes.
- When timer goes off, open valve to quick release steam. Once steam is done releasing, open lid. Transfer meat to a bowl to shred. You can turn the Instant Pot back onto SAUTEE to reduce the sauce, and add to shredded meat.
- Add BBQ sauce to meat.
- To make sandwiches, add a slice of pineapple, pulled pork, coleslaw, and additional BBQ sauce if desired. Enjoy