This month’s Recipe Redux theme was to stir up some of my earliest culinary recollections.
I guess I didn’t cook a lot as a kid with either of my parents. So this month’s theme was a bit tough to think of. I love to eat, but not so much spend time in the kitchen, I’m glad that has changed over the years. One thing I loved to eat as a kid was my mom’s chicken and broccoli casserole. It’s chicken-ey, creamy, cheesy, and delicious. What more would you need? She’s made a few changes to it over the years, and I added homemade cream of chicken soup, which was surprisingly easy to add. Just a few short extra steps and you’re on your way to a fully homemade casserole. You’re welcome.
And, here’s your first recipe to use up that roasted chicken. It’s delicious with any kind of chicken, but something special happens when you use your own home roasted chicken (use my easiest roast chicken recipe). It’s that extra love, lack of preservatives, and sense of ownership that goes a long way. Here’s how you can make your very own home roasted chicken. Spoiler alert, it’s super easy.
Katie's Famous Curried Chicken and Broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted*
- 3 Tablespoons flour*
- 1/2 cup chicken stock*
- 1/2 cup milk * I used skim
- t *1 can cream of chicken soup (use this if you don' have time to make your own cream base using the ingredients above)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (you can use Greek yogurt it will just be even thicker)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- teaspoon Salt and pepper to taste (I used ~3/4 salt 1 teaspoon pepper to season)
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups chicken breasts cooked and shredded (or use roasted/rotisserie chicken)
- 4 large broccoli crowns chopped (or use 1lb bag of frozen broccoli, just know that it'll be a bit watery if you use frozen)
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make cream of chicken soup-melt butter in small saucepan, over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth, then add chicken stock and milk. Whisk again, until smooth. (if using cream of chicken soup, skip steps 1, 2.
- Mix cream of chicken soup and plain yogurt in medium bowl; add curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Spray casserole dish with cooking spray, to coat
- Layer in chicken and broccoli.
- Pour soup/yogurt mixture over chicken and broccoli, top with cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice (use brown rice for the extra fiber & health benefits)
Want more recipes straight to your inbox?