Combine some hearty vegetables, eggs, cheese and your favorite sausage to make this sausage and egg casserole that’s an easy and super delicious breakfast that will make you look forward to waking up.
PIN HERE to add to your recipe box.
How it fits into my lifestyle
Breakfast is a must for me. I don’t have to eat right when I wake up, but within an hour or two, or I’m not going to be productive or happy. I usually would go for overnight oats (like these) or pile some yogurt and fruit in tupperware before I leave for work. But now, I work from home most of the time.
Before I transitioned into working for myself, I dreamed about cooking fun and delicious breakfasts whenever I came across a delicious looking breakfast recipe. I thought I’d have the time and desire to whip something up like this. After a few months at it, I’m finding that’s SO NOT the case. I either have no time, or remember that it takes me over an hour to make, eat, then clean up breakfast-and that’s just not sustainable for an every-day thing. So I’ve resorted to quick yogurt and fruit. That’s great and totally satisfies my needs, but I’m actually getting tired of it, which I never did when I ate at work. Weird.
I decided to try something different and make an egg casserole, instead of an omelet or scrambled eggs. This casserole is super delicious, easy, and can be warmed up and ready to eat while I plan for the day-all within 5 minutes. It turns into breakfast for the full week, and even snacks if needed. It’s awesome.
While I’m not being super mindful about breakfast since I’m eating while getting started with my work day (real life), this well balanced and delicious breakfast will nourish your body without having to think about it in the moment. Also, you’re welcome to pack a few and eat a second one if you’re still hungry or need a quick snack.
Oh, PS I decided to do this casserole vs individual egg cups-because it takes far less time to cut out a slice of this casserole than to separate into cups and clean those cups, and take them out of the cups. So, if this seems easier to you like it does to me, cook up your weeks eggs this way instead of in individual muffin cups. #lazyisawesome
How it’ll make your life easier
Like I said before, I love and need breakfast. Like always. But I’m not going to take any time to prep anything in the AM before heading out for work, and I’m also not going to be making an elaborate or fun breakfast when I work from home-well most days. If you’re like me and need a breakfast that’s delicious, nourishing, and super easy, I’ve got you covered with this easy egg and sausage casserole. Plus, how many times do you get to enjoy some vibrant veggies with your breakfast?
If you’re curious how I meal prep to eat well & make my life easier, read this.
Quick Notes on This Recipe
- Like many of my recipes, the veggies listed are just suggestions (mostly based on what I have on hand) you’re more than welcome to change them up in your dish. Vegetables are usually quite versatile and really any vegetable will taste delicious in this casserole
- If you’d like to add some carbs to this dish, feel free to add potatoes (or frozen hash browns to the casserole itself), or eat with potatoes, or fruit, or a tortilla/bread would be great too! (here’s some inspiration)
- I bought bulk chicken breakfast sausage at Sprouts for this recipe. I bought it because it was on sale and sounded delicious. You can sub with any other type of breakfast sausage (including pork!). PS: this sausage is DELICIOUS, it really makes my casserole taste amazing
- This recipe is not only great to make for quick breakfasts for the week, but it’s also a delicious egg dish to take to brunch!
Combine some hearty vegetables, eggs, cheese and your favorite sausage to make this sausage and egg casserole that's an easy and super delicious breakfast that will make you look forward to waking up.
- 2 pounds breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups kale washed and chopped
- 1 medium shallot, diced OR 1/2 onion, and 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese + more to cover top if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat cast iron skillet or medium sized sautee pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, add sausage to hot skillet. Separate meat to crumble and cook until done. About 10 minutes.
While sausage is cooking, heat oven to 350 degrees, and mix together eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add salt and pepper. Mix chopped vegetables and cheese into egg mixture.
When sausage is done, add to egg mixture and stir together. Spray a 9x13 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture into pan. Top with more shredded cheese if desired. Cook for 30 minutes, or until eggs are cooked all the way through. Serve or save for breakfast for the week.
For more recipes straight to your inbox, sign up here:
Let’s get chatty:
• Do you make breakfast each morning or grab something super easy?