This fresh and simple freeze-able pesto sauce is the perfect topper for your pasta, salmon, or really anything that needs a quick flavor and nutrient boost! Add it to pasta for an easy vegetarian weeknight meal to make quick vegetarian pasta with freezer pesto.
Have you made homemade pesto before? I hadn’t until I made it twice this past week. The first time was to try to use up my fresh basil (my basil plant is still alive-this is MAJOR!), the second time was to use up fresh arugula. Pesto is a really delicious and easy way to boost pasta or salmon (both of which I made to top with my new delish sauce), and I even chose ingredients I commonly have on hand. I usually have some greens (great way to use up those greens you forgot about, or need to use up before going out of town), basil, hemp hearts, parmesan, and olive oil on hand. It was so easy!
Like I just said, homemade pesto is a fantastic way to use up about to go bad greens or basil, it’s really quick and easy, it uses ingredients you probably have on hand, and it’s freezable. All of this means that you can save money, time, and energy with this sauce while eating really deliciously.
And you know why eating deliciously is so important…. it’s enjoyable and satisfaction from eating helps you eat an appropriate amount for your needs, and leaves you feeling good. Here’s more about the importance of satisfaction of eating.
- 12 ounces fresh arugula or spinach washed and dried
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to high powered blender, blend until well incorporated
- Top pasta, fish, or other protein immediately. Or freeze sauce.
here’s what you’ve got to try the pesto on:
Quick Vegetarian Pasta Salad with Freezer Pesto
- 2/3 lb pasta of choice
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup freezer pesto recipe above
- 2 cups frozen French green beans
- Boil pasta
- When pasta is about 5 minutes from being done, add edamame and green beans to cooking pasta. Finish cooking until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente.
- Drain water, add pesto sauce, stir until pesto is warm and pasta is coated.
- Top with parmesan cheese and hemp hearts. Serve hot or cold.
Want more recipes straight to your inbox? here you go