This simple warm kale salad with pork and a pomegranate balsamic reduction dressing will keep you warm in the winter and happy because it was so easy.
I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
How This Simple Kale Salad Fits into My Lifestyle
I’ve become a pomegranate fan since attending Blog Brulee last year (and this year) because POM Wonderful was one of the sponsors, and I was introduced to how delicious POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is in drinks and sauces, and lots of other food. Since that first introduction, I converted and am a true believer and lover of all things pomegranate. I’ve been adding POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice to my drinks, salad dressings, and now marinades. I couldn’t be happier with how delicious and stupidly easy these recipes are. Really, my absolute favorite thing about using POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is that it’s so packed with delicious and nutritious flavor, that it cuts down on my ingredient list in the recipes I use it in AND I don’t have to take the time to crack open, dirty my kitchen, and take out all those pesky aerils from the actual pomegranate. That means I save time and energy (and clothes) while cooking. As you know, this is a big deal!
Here’s a few recipes that I’ve made with POM Wonderful & absolutely love:
As great as this dressing is, I need an easy winter salad to add to it. Warm salads are my favorite thing in the winter, because for some reason, the normal cold salad is so not appetizing when it’s 30 degrees outside. Kale and butternut squash are even better when they’re heated, so they make for the perfect simple base for this salad.
How it’ll make your life easier and better
Not only is POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice delicious and versatile, but I’ve found that the bold sweetness and tanginess in the bottle means needing to add fewer ingredients to dishes it’s in. If you’re like me and want to keep cooking simple, but still wants to eat deliciously and nutritiously, POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is the perfect year-round pantry staple.
In addition to simplifying your cooking while still eating deliciously, POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is packed with nutrition. For example, research that includes POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice uses 8 oz per day in its studies on muscle strength recovery, memory and cognition, microbiome, and more. That’s because POM Wonderful 100% Juice is powered by antioxidants. The pomegranate is whole-pressed, meaning a unique blend of polyphenol antioxidants from two whole pomegranates – including its fruit, pith and rind – is found in each 8 oz bottle. That means that you’ll be getting important and functional nutrients from the juice that you wouldn’t get from just eating the fruit. This makes quite the case for drinking juice vs the fruit, doesn’t it?!
Again, since the dressing is so easy, grab some prechopped kale and butternut squash to save you prep time. Many grocery stores have prechopped vegetables that are fresh and delicious.
Quick Notes on this Recipe
You can buy a whole squash, which is what I did because 1) it was on sale at Sprouts and 2) I like roasting the seeds… Choose a slightly soft squash because it’ll be way easier to cut, and if cooked right away, it’ll be perfectly sweet and deliciouis.
I actually roasted the squash for the first time in the oven. I left the skin on because it’s a pain to cut off when raw. You can toss the pieces in olive oil, salt, & pepper for a delicious and easy roasted vegetable. Afterward, I peeled the squash, cut it up real small then sauteed the pieces in a bit more oil, and then followed the recipe here. You can do it either way. I needed a bit of slow cooking therapy when I made this recipe, so the extra hands on time was functional for me.
You’ll use this delicious and easy 3 ingredient balsamic reduction for the dressing.
Warm Kale Salad with Pomegranate Balsamic Dressing
- Pomegranate Balsamic Marinated Pork Loin recipe link below in recipe notes
- 16 ounce Bagged chopped kale
- 12 ounce package Precut butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil (need an additional 1/4 cup for salad dressing)
- 2 cups Pomegranate baslamic reduction made with POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice refer to pork recipe link below
- 1/4 cup Pistachios chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing
- Heat cast iron skillet or large saucepan over medium/medium high heat. Chop squash into inch thick pieces or smaller (the smaller they are, the quicker they'll cook).
- Pour olive oil into heated pan, then pour squash into pan, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Edges will be crispy, and centers will be tender. Add kale to pan, cook until softened and kale is crispy as well, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil to pomegranate balsamic reduction. Plate salads, add a slice of pork to each plate. Top with pistachios and pomegranate balsamic reduction.
Sign up here to get more easy recipes straight to your inbox:
Let’s get Chatty
- Have you used pomegranate juice in recipes before?
- What are your favorite salad dressings?