The Easiest Grilled Chicken Burger
Welcome to grilling season! It's the time to throw everything on the BBQ & eat outside, and enjoy the wonderful weather. These easy grilled chicken burgers are a great way to use your grill and please your tastebuds.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 2 6-8 oz chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese or cheddar
- 1 whole red onion sliced thinly
- 1 whole beefsteak tomato sliced thinly
- 4-5 leaves lettuce green leaf or romaine
- 4 hamburger buns whole wheat or white
- BBQ sauce
Start by heating up your grill or grill pan. Once your grill is hot, place chicken breast(s) on grill. Scroll down to see my tips on cooking adjustments for different sized chicken breasts. Start by cooking for 5-6 minutes on the first side, then check doneness after 5-6 minutes on the second side.
Once the chicken is done cooking, top each breast with a slice of your favorite cheese. It should melt while the chicken rests.
While the chicken breasts are cooking, grill one (or 2) of onions per burger.
Next, prepare the toppings. Use what you have on hand or get some leaf lettuce, tomato, onions, and avocado. You can use the leftover veggies to make quick salads or to top sandwiches later in the week.
Serve with french fries, veggie sticks, or any of these salads.
- A cast iron skillet is also a great substitute for a grill/grill pan.
- Just use the size of chicken breasts that you find at your local grocery store. I've found many to be 6-8 ounces. Feel free to cut them in half if needed.
- Check doneness with a meat thermometer, it should be 165 degrees or by slicing it down the center. Meat will be white inside, and juices clear.
- Cover chicken breasts with tin foil or a dome to melt cheese more quickly.
- Red onions add a great flavor, but you can honestly use any type of onion in this recipe.