Kale Apple and Pecan Salad
This hearty kale, apple and pecan salad goes really well with a simply grilled pork chop. It's a simple fall salad that's bursting with flavor.
Servings 1 person
medium mixing bowl
- 2 stalks kale
- 1/2 whole apple I used a Pink Lady apple
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon glazed pecans or regular
Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp each maple syrup, dijon mustard, and 1/8 tsp salt to mixing bowl. Whisk together. Set aside.
Prepare 2 stalks kale by removing kale ribs with your hand by holding the kale stalk at the bottom with both hands, then push one hand up toward the top of the leaf, pushing the leaves off the stalk. After you've removed the leaves, grab kale and rub together with your two hands for a minute +. Chop into bite sized pieces. Transfer to mixing bowl with dressing in it.
Chop 1/2 apple into bite sized pieces. Transfer to mixing bowl. Add 1 tbsp glazed pecans to mixing bowl. Mix together with tongs. Serve with pork or another protein.
- Massage the kale so it's easier to eat.
- Sprinkle kale with a pinch of salt to soften it more quickly. I recommend massaging kale whenever you plan to eat it raw.
- If you won't eat all the salad in one setting, I'd recommend mixing the dressing in another air tight container to store for later. Use dressing on remaining salad or use as a marinade for pork or chicken.
- Serve with a pork chop, or cut pork up and add to the salad